6-MAR-2018, Interstate 24, heading west – Paducah Kentucky is a long way from Caro Babbo, but not too far away to spend money.
Jennifer closed on one of Hilary’s houses this week, and signed all the paperwork for the second closing, so we needn’t return for it.
We’re riding in a Budget 12-foot box truck, driving some of Hilary’s belongings up to Port Townsend.
Continue reading “Paducah, Kentucky”
5-JAN-2018, Lake Union, Seattle, Wa – Standing fully clothed, soaking wet in the cockpit of CaroBabbo at the dock in Lake Union, Jennifer said, “Would you like to take a picture of me?”
Jennifer always has more sense than I have, but I merely said, “no.”
Instead, a few hours later I took this picture:
Continue reading “Many a slip ’twixt the dock and the ship”
27-AUG-2017, just outside Pender Harbour – We’ve come to realize that the adventure is over for the year.
It is warm here, in the 20sC, 70sF. We haven’t worn foulies or even long trousers in a couple of days. The locals tell us its only rained for four days since May: It has been a glorious summer. Continue reading “Adventure over, Home waters”
6-AUG-2017, Meyer’s Chuck, AK – I get asked often about what we eat aboard, about what we eat and what we cook when we’re ashore.
We don’t use prepared foods, including bread, and on board we have no refrigeration – though we occasionally buy ice. The ice allows us to have fresh meat and fish until it melts. (It is worth mentioning that even fresh meat and fish will keep for a few days without refrigeration – Remember the Ben Franklin quote about guests and fish, both stink after three days.)
I’m working on a ‘‘simplest’’ bread video for our friend Heath, which I’ll post on YouTube in a day or two. I also outlined a 13-part cooking show, which I abandoned as too much like work. Perhaps I’ll dust it off.
At Jennifer’s urging I’ve started to keep a food journal so that we can go back to things that I’ve cooked that we both liked. Continue reading “Cooking in Meyer’s Chuck”
4-AUG-2017, Wrangle, AK – A quick status on this and that: Hilary is requiring more and more energy, both physical and emotional. Aside from some flares up between Jennifer and me, which are never related to Hilary, the only impact has been on blogging. I’m sorry.
The weather has turned into San Diego weather, hooray.
As I write this Jennifer has discovered we need to leave, NOW, in order to make a current change.
We’re good, the weather is fine and the stove is working again… Clogged fuel lines, of all things. Many, many great pictures to post.
2-AUG-2107 , Petersburg, AK – Quick status. Full posts from Wrangle when we get there this afternoon.
We arrived in Petersburg, AK yesterday. It was sunny ALL DAY and is sunny this morning. This, we believe is the first time we have had two sunny days in a row on the trip. We also suspect that yesterday was the first full sunny day of the trip. Continue reading “In Petersburg”
17-MAY-2017, Johnstone Strait – Yesterday morning we had two conflicting weather reports. Environment Canada said wind on the nose up Straits of Georgia and in to Johnstone Strait.
Our GRIB files said four knots the entire day.
The Strait outside Campbell river was flat and calm. As we made our decision to leave all 100 feet of Discovery, who was docked across the finger dock from us, powered up.
The night had been a real windstorm with moments of driving rain. When on an anchor, the boat general points into the wind. The portion of the cockpit in the dodger’s wind shadow stays dry. Continue reading “Small Inlet, Johnstone Strait, Hilary, Two Whales Feeding and things that work”
15-MAY-2017, Campbell River – I’m sure we’ve done this before, but it is rare: We’re thinking of staying put to wait out the weather.
We came to Campbell River yesterday from Manson’s Landing.
Just before we left, another visiting boat docked in the float plane berth. They had just come from the marina at Gorge Harbour with a glowing review: affordable with complete access to the resort there including hot tub and swimming pool. Continue reading “Waiting for weather”
My apologies for not posting in sometime. It has all been heads down while we raced to get away.
We finally left Port Townsend this past Friday about 2pm.
The Port Townsend house is rented, the lower shrouds are installed, the rig tuned and new burners installed. Continue reading “We’re on our way, Hilary and Taylors Stove Redux”
Today is the day we really start hemorrhaging money.
I ordered the copper coat: seven kits at $120 per kit are necessary to coat CaroBabbo. It is a four-day process, however, this should be the last time I put a bottom on CaroBabbo. Continue reading “Hemorrhaging money and getting back to Port Townsend”