5-AUG-2017, Frosty Bay, AK – We ripped the aft starboard cleat out of the boat today, then glued it back it in at a little two-boat dock in Frosty Bay. Continue reading “We tear out a cleat, anchor in tight quarters and see bears.”
22-JUL-2017 Echo Cove, AK – Electronics on a boat oftentimes act differently than ashore.
We’ll be in Auke Bay, which is part of Juneau, tomorrow so I can pick up the shipping container to send my Mac back to Apple for repair – except that I am writing this on my Mac. Continue reading “Mac comes back to life, 12-Volt Adapter dies, Depth Sounder Packs up”
16-jul-2017, Southern Lynn Canal — A quick note. Yesterday AIS stopped displaying error signals and all readings returned to normal, so we should be back on line.
Errors like this are worrisome.
New house batteries are great.
We’re on our way to Skagway and about to lose internet.
Or simple pleasures…
A little more than two years ago, I started having trouble getting the engine to start if it sat more than three days.
To remedy the problem, I made sure I started it more often than than that. When went our three week trip up the west side of Vancouver Island that year, it was never a problem: we never went that long without starting the engine. Continue reading “Push the button, the engine starts. What’s so strange about that?”
We’ve had engine starting problems, but only sometimes — Aside from the known problems with air in the fuel lines — Yep, problems, problems, problems, worse than a house.
Caro Babbo went into the water at lunch Thursday. The wind had been blowing mid-twenties gusting to 30. The Travelift operators, who I’ve gotten to know across the five weeks, came by often to find out what I wanted to do. Continue reading “Back in the water, again”
Rather than the write book that is the five weeks in Port Townsend’s Boat Haven, here is a gallery of pictures. Much of what was done wasn’t photographed, so I guess the book is on the way.
Caro Babbo is due to go back into the water tomorrow – we’re on standby. And then to be sailed back to Lake union on the weekend. There is no mass transit in Jefferson County on Sundays, so we’ll be in Seattle until Monday.
There is still much work to be done: replacing coolant hoses, installed new fuel filter, replacing heater fan, to name three. Continue reading “Five weeks on the hard in Port Townsend’s Boat Haven”
Today is the day we really start hemorrhaging money.
I ordered the copper coat: seven kits at $120 per kit are necessary to coat CaroBabbo. It is a four-day process, however, this should be the last time I put a bottom on CaroBabbo. Continue reading “Hemorrhaging money and getting back to Port Townsend”
Derek was nice enough to send me a picture of the label on the dehumidifier. Given the serial number it is not a recalled unit.
I’ve asked Derek to plug it back in, turn it on and make sure the drain hose is in the sink.
1-OCT-2016 – It’s easiest to answer the last item first. Yes, a number of things did not break. None of the standing rigging had any sort of failure (the standing rigging is what holds up the mast). After that it becomes a little more difficult to think of something, None of us, personally, were injured or became ill, nor did any of our guests, so the human factor held up well. Continue reading “Status, statistics, and did anything not break?”